Friday 8 February 2013

Friday Game Day... Alphabet Fruit Salad

It's Friday again!



Today I'm going to mix it up a bit and share a literacy game :) Well, actually it could easily be adapted for Maths or any other subject area, but it was originally a literacy game, so here goes....

Alphabet Fruit Salad


This game was introduced to me by my lovely colleague who I team teach with, and is a great way to get moving and practice Alphabet name/sounds at the same time.

It's based on the traditional game Fruit salad, but instead of using fruit names, you use letters (or blends/digraphs/sight words/bonds to 10, one more/less than.... the list is endless)

All of the children sit in a circle (or you can get them to place their chairs in a circle, but I find this is a lot of prep and a bit of a headache with new Receptions!). Choose 4 or 5 different letters (or blends etc) and go around the circle, naming each child a letter.

The teacher then shows a letter (I use flashcards), and all children with that letter must get up from their spot, run (or fast walk when we're in the class!) around the outside of the circle and sit back down in their spot. the person who is last back to their spot is 'out' and must sit in the centre of the circle. The teacher then shows another letter and the children with that letter must do the same. Last person back replaces the person in the middle (so there is only ever one person 'out' and they're only out for one turn). The teacher can also call out 'FRUIT SALAD' and then EVERYONE has to run around the circle and back to their spot.

You can also play the game (when using chairs) so that you  don't have to run around the outside of the circle, you simply swap seats with another person.... this can be a bit easier if you are playing inside in a small classroom! 

Laminate and cut out the cards for ready made flash cards
If you'd like to download a copy of my flashcards (from Google Docs) that I use for this game, click here ... we use Jolly Phonics, so I have the letters and digraphs that we will be learning this year on flash cards.

I hope your class likes this game... mine love it! :)





4 comments:

  1. Jess-

    I am your newest follower! Thank you so much for following me;) I look forward to following you as we both embark on this journey! I am so impressed with your number of posts.. I have not seemed to have mastered that yet!

    Emma
    I just found your blog via TBA! You have some cute ideas! I love the Stinky Feet book! I am reading it to my firsties for Valentines! I am new to blogging too! Just figuring it all out! Look forward to meeting lots of amazing teachers!

    Emma
    Ms. Emma's Edventure

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Emma :)

      I'm still learning the ins and outs of blogger... its such a learning curve! I'm in awe of people who can whip up posts almost daily!

      Jess

      Delete
  2. Jess,

    I love that idea for Alphabet fruit salad. I might be using it in my classroom soon. Your website graphics are so cute!

    Stacy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stacey :)

      I hope your kids have fun with the fruit salad! I popped over to your blog too... it looks fantastic :)

      Jess

      Delete